Paul O' Leary
In 1923, Andrew Boland - General Merchant, Whitechurch, New Ross, Co. Wexford - expanded his existing business to include a motor hire service. He purchased one Ford Model T lorry and one Ford Model T car. This service provided the local economy with a badly needed boost in mechanised transport, as newly independent Ireland emerged from its civil war. It proved to be an instant success and was widely availed of by both private and business customers. Routine maintenance was carried out at Whitechurch.
In 1930, Andrew Boland added to his fleet when he purchased a new Ford Model A saloon car, fitted with a 14.9 H.P. engine to be used as a hackney car. The very first fare-paying passenger was Mrs Tottenham of Killowen House, New Ross. Throughout the 1930s, Andrew Boland's hackney and motor hire services operated until the fuel-starved years of the 1939 - 1945 Emergency (World War II) brought business throughout Ireland almost to a standstill. Business slowly returned to normal after 1945 and in 1948 Andrew Boland's sons, John and James, commenced selling second-hand cars from the family premises at Whitechurch. In 1956, they opened a self-drive car hire business, with an office on the Quay in Waterford to handle enquiries.
In 1958, they secured a Morris sub-dealership, which gave James and John access to the new car market. New and used car sales expanded and in 1965 the Boland brothers opened a filling station in New Ross town. Within twelve months, they secured a Ford dealership for this premises, allowing them to expand into commercial vehicle sales for the first time. During the late 1960s and early 1970s, very successful annual car auctions were held in the New Ross facility.
The Ford Model T, on display in Boland Motors showroom, was manufactured in Detroit in 1912. It is fitted with a 20 horsepower, 4 cylinder side valve engine, coupled to a unique panetary transmission, giving two forward gears and one reverse.
Between 1908 and 1927 over 14 million Model Ts were manufactured and in 2000 the Model T was chosen as Car of the Century.
The Irish Model T Club was established by John Boland (our Managing Director) in 1990 and today has over 20 members. Each year a very successful rally is held in different parts of Ireland.
Mon-Fri: 09:00 to 17:30
Sat: 09:00 to 13:00
Test Centre Administrator
Mon-Sat: 09:00 to 18.00
Mon-Sat: 09:00 to 18.00